In the 1820’s, a group of Free Will Baptists were meeting at the Quaker Meeting House in Jones County, just a few miles from Pleasant Hill. In 1834, the Rev. Thomas Campbell, one of the founders of the Disciples movement (originally known as the “Restoration Movement”) came through the area preaching and caused quite a stir in the community.
The land for a new church was given in 1837 by Mr. William Brown who was a strong believer in the new Disciples Movement. The Browns, with the help of the Jarmans, Goodings, Fordhams, Kinseys, Smalls and others, completed construction of the church. Dempsey Morgan finished the steps on the morning of the first service. The new church, with 20 members, was dedicated to following the doctrinal direction of the new Disciples Movement.
The original church was named Pleasant Hill Christian Baptist. It officially joined the Disciples of Christ movement on Nov. 11, 1843, and renamed Pleasant Hill Christian Church. Some of the first ministers included; Robert Bond, John P. Dunn, Theodore J. Latham, John B. Gaylord and Henry Smith. The first Elder was Emanuel Jarman. The first Deacons were William Brown and William Gooding. The first Deaconesses were; Mrs. Mary Fordham, Miss Rosa Lee Westbrook, Mrs. Ida Noble and Miss Ella Flordham. By the end of 1890, the membership had grown to 220.
During the Civil War, after New Bern was taken by the Yankees in 1862, Brother P. E. Hines quit coming to preach. John J. Harper preached until he was told by Confederate soldiers camped at Pleasant Hill that the Yankees were coming, so he left with them and did not come back until the war was over. The church survived by holding prayer meetings during this time, according to an 1897 letter written by W. G. Fordham.
In 1868, Joseph Kinsey started the Pleasant Hill Male and Female Academy on the site of Pleasant Hill Christian Church with Joseph H. Foy as assistant principal.
A new sanctuary was constructed in 1905 behind the old church, which is reported to have later burned down. The current sanctuary was upgraded and remodeled in 1973, and a fellowship building was added in 1978.